On September 21, 2009, I became a 58-year-old kid. I still think (and usually behave) like a teenager, and I like it that way. Life’s too short to be stuffy and serious all the time.
Related Random Birthday Thoughts:
- Man, I seem to be seeing a lot more scalp every morning when I comb my hair.
- I don’t need to feel embarrassed any more if I forget something; it’s pretty much expected of me.
- I used to be obsessed with dying. Now I’m obsessed with living. Makes for a happier me.
- The cute girl who rings up my groceries…she’s not smiling at me because she’s flirting; she’s just being friendly to the nice old man.
- I feel lucky because I saw Elvis and the Beatles live in concert (not at the same time, obviously); got to see Dan Marino and Joe Montana play in their prime; was able to realize my dream of visiting London and Liverpool in June of 2001; and made some wonderful friends throughout the years.
- I feel sad because I remember where I was and what I was doing when the Kennedy brothers and John Lennon were gunned down; I realize that modern sports heroes are playing less for love of the game then they are for love of enormous paychecks and self-glorification; since 9/11/01, I will never again be comfortable spending more than a few hours at a time on a plane; I’ve lost too many friends to drugs and violence.
- When I was younger, I felt that the music I listened to was the best ever made, and the stuff my parents listened to was lame. Now I feel that the music I listened to when I was younger was the best ever made, and the stuff my son listens to is just so much indecipherable noise.
- It’s depressing to know that the various aches and pains I experience are not temporary. Arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and pinched nerves don’t just clear up on their own.
- I will probably never marry again. I’m old and set in my ways; I like coming and going as I please, and not having to explain myself to anybody.
- That being said, it’s nice to have somebody around to experience things with, somebody to talk things over with, and somebody to say goodnight to.
- I hate being serious.
- I have doubts that I’ll ever earn my Black Belt. My body is just not co-operating. However, I will keep trying. I will not give up.
- Rock and roll and Disney has kept me young. Thanks to both of you.
- And thank you for listening to an old man ramble! Doo wah diddy diddy!